Credits for banner here.

Saturday, July 28, 2007

Lemonade Stand


Today was our first lemonade stand ever. I don't even think I ever had a lemonade stand as a kid. If I did it wasn't a very memorable experience. But Brooke has been bugging me for a month or more to have a lemonade stand. She has been making menus of all the food which included candy, cookies, brownies and chips. I quickly cut that list to just brownies and thankfully it didn't even phase her. I think she enjoyed the planning of the stand almost as much as she enjoyed running it. She is definitely her mother's daughter. For the rest of the details you'll have to read the journaling from the page below:

Journaling: Your first lemonade stand. You’ve been asking for weeks
to have one - ever since your friend Mary Everett had her
lemonade stand. I’ve been putting you off because I
thought it was too much hassle, but since Daddy was home
today I thought we could tag team this project. He made the
signs and I made the lemonade and brownies. You dressed up
and ran down the street to get Mary Everett. You had such
high hopes for this lemonade stand. You just knew that every
car that passed by would stop to buy a cup of “pink or yellow.”
It was sad for me to watch your face fall each time a car would
pass and you would yell, “lemonade stand”, or “pink or yellow”,
but the car wouldn’t stop. They just waved and kept going. I
thought to myself, “How selfish and uncaring. Are people just
too busy to pay attention...are they too self-absorbed to take
just a moment to make a child’s day a little brighter?” Just as
these thoughts entered my mind though, I was greatly relieved
that customers began stopping to buy a cup or two and then
giving you tips because you both looked so cute! Pretty soon,
though, the excitement wore off and the customers stopped
coming. Mary Everett went to play with Connor but you stayed
at your lemonade stand, determined to sell a cup or two more.
People would walk buy and ask if you were selling alot. I’d try to
put a positive spin on it but you aren’t one to embellish the truth.
You replied, “Not so much,” to their question making it very
clear that they should buy a cup to help your flagging spirits.
I have to give it to you, Brooke, you really impressed me today
with your presistence and determination - even in the face
of discouragement! One day those characteristics are going
to serve you very well, so don’t ever change that about yourself.
And remember...if life gives you lemons, make some
sweet lemonade! 2007.July.2

Text: Garamond
Kit: Summer Flutter by Brenda Kempf

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Love this page! I had tears after reading it.