Credits for banner here.

Monday, July 30, 2007

Scrap Happy


I just finished a book that I think has revolutionized the way I think about scrapbooking. I have always been a very FRUSTRATED scrapper. My style in everything (clothing, house decorating etc...) has always been simple. Kind of Pottery Barnish. But, I get in trouble when I see all these people with cute houses full of stuff, or girls with adorable accessories or scrapbook pages with tons of embellishment. I think to myself, "Why don't I decorate, dress or scrapbook like them?" Thus, the frustrated decorator, dresser and scrapper rears up her little head!

Well, the amazing book I just read titled, "Clean and Simple Scrapbooking" by Cathy Zielske has finally make it okay for me to be simple in my scrapbooking. Cathy is a graphic artist by trade and so she scrapbooks that way - graphically, cleanly, simply - and her pages are amazing. The other tidbit that I picked up was that the most important things on the page are the picture and journaling. She picks her picture and then journals AND then she does her layout making sure there is plenty of room for her journaling. Sometimes she even journals an important moment and then finds a random picture to fit.
So, after reading this book and coming to an "Aha" moment, I've completed two pages in two nights - usually it takes me MUCH longer with much more agonizing - and I'm not frustrated to boot! I'm completely okay that my last two pages are simple. After all, the photos are great and the journaling is what is most important!
Below is my layout from the day that we met friends at our Bi-Centennial Fountains. The kids had a blast (a LO of Brooke from this day will be coming shortly). I think the pictures are hilarious of Connor. He had so much fun and it shows.

Credits:
Kit: Carrie Stephens' Sunshine and Rainbows
Fonts: Black Jack Regular, Garamond

1 comment:

JenLo said...

I think they are better because you can concentrate on the pics. Maybe that's my problem. I got so overwhelmed that I just couldn't get into scrapping. Maybe I'll pick up that book.